Expecting holiday guests can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you consider the long wish list of things you’d like to do to get your home ready. Here are some tips for making this overwhelming task a little more manageable.
- Make a list. Make a list of the tasks that need to be done to your home. Now cross out the tasks that won’t make an impact or matter to your guests and can wait until January.
- Focus on the most visible areas. Pay attention to the areas where guests will congregate the most – chances are you can eliminate some areas from your to-do list that your guests will never see (like your closet).
- Focus on tasks with a noticeable impact. Are the walls in your living areas or hallways smudged? Since walls are a very noticeable feature, you may want to clean or touch-up paint the most visible walls. Clean, uncluttered floors and counters will also automatically make your home feel more open and inviting. Not sure what to do with the clutter? An inexpensive, attractive basket can make some clutter look intentional!
- Focus on tasks that will make you feel more confident about your home. Are there things in your home that bother you every time you see them? A loose doorknob, stained bathroom grout, a messy flatware drawer, that pile of papers to file on your kitchen counter. If they are manageable, try to get these things taken care of. What a relief it will be to keep your thoughts on your guests and not a bothersome task you wish you’d done! More great ideas for preparing for guests: http://www.houselogic.com/
- Are you expecting overnight guests? Here are some great links to help you prepare a welcoming place for your overnight guests.